I seem to be inundated with opportunities to participate in them. But the thing is they cause me stress! I only want to participate in them with publicists who I truly love working with because they have proven themselves to be reliable and wonderful. Plus they have got to know me and my tastes in books and this I value. So if they ask me to participate I trust that I will really enjoy the book.
When I first started blogging and I was invited to be part of a blog tour. I was so excited. But I really didn't know then what I know now. If only I did...
These are my niggles with blog tours:
- You have to read the book in a given time frame
- If you have to pass it on, that time frame is narrowed
- Even if you don't have to pass it on, you need to fit it in and sometimes with work that is impossible
- You might read the book and think it is awful
- But you've already agreed to be part of the tour
- So you write a fair and balanced review (I always do this rather than writing unnecessarily cruel things. I value professionalism)
- But on top of your review you are giving it extra publicity
- I didn't like the book. Why would I want to do that?
- My blog is my personal review space not an advertising billboard
- Who really wants to read seven reviews of the same book in seven days?
The only way I can keep my integrity and my sanity is by saying no, thank you. Please don't take offense. It's not you, it's me.
This post should really be titled The Bookette's Guide to reasons why I am declining to take part in [insert book title here] blog tour.